Saturday, December 1, 2012

The First Day of Advent!


Christmas is often a whirlwind of decorations, presents, and food! All of which I am totally okay with, but this season I am trying to devote myself to remembering the season for what it is. I grew up Pentecostal Holiness and never really celebrated Advent as apart of Christmas. My brothers and I always knew there was no such thing as fat man who came down our chimney to leave us presents under the tree, but we did believe and honor St. Nick of long ago. I was never scared or injured in anyway by not believing in Santa Clause. I simply had a respect for the man he was. We also got to play along just like everyone else that some presents were from “Santa.” 
I would like to take a moment and share what Advent is really and why I would like to celebrate it more during the Christmas season. The word Advent means simply coming, or arrive. So the season of advent is all about celebrating the coming of our savior 2000 years ago and waiting for His soon coming return. As a Christian it is so exciting to wait for the return of the Almighty! I think it is extremely important to teach children about the celebration of the advent season. I am gathering all sorts of cute ideas for one day when I have children to teach it to! 
Everyday this month I intend to post something knew about the advent season in hopes of helping you find the peace and joy in the real reason for the season. I am doing this for myself as well, in means of teaching myself to step back and really celebrate the Saviors return and not worry about money or school. I need to be reminded of the real reason for the season everyday and especially this month of December. I pray this month that you may be encouraged by my blog and be in awe of the Christ Jesus. 

Isaiah 9:6 
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment