Friday, January 24, 2014

Woven Together | Beginning

Crocheting and Knitting

Crocheting has been apart of my life since I was 13 years old. It is sometimes hard for me to think of how I began. I love to crochet with a passion and I must admit knitting is not my greatest thrill although I do enjoy it. Im going back to think of what questions I had? What materials I questioned using? Where and how to find good deals on buying yarn? So I am hoping to give you the tools I used for learning how to crochet and knit. 

1. The differences between crocheting and knitting. 
- Crocheting uses one hook, and knitting requires two pointed needles. Hooks and knitting needles come in all different lengths and colors. 

2. What size hook or needles should I start with?
- For crocheting I would recommend a medium sized hook. Hooks are sized by letters and millimeters. So a size I / 5.50mm would be a good starting hook. 
Knitting needles are measured mostly by number. I used size 10 needles for my first knitting project and I felt good about my results. 
- On the yarn packaging there will be a chart for suggested hook and needle size.

3. What type of yarn to use? 
- When teaching how to crochet or knit I always, always recommend using a bright light color. This helps see the stitches better. I would also suggest a worsted weight yarn. Worsted weight is easy to hold, easy to see, and easy to work with. It doesn't tangle too bad and keeps its shape. Worsted is also one of the cheapest yarns you can buy, so your purse will be glad. 

4. How to get started?
- If you do not have a teacher or someone who can show you the ropes, there are many online resources you can use to learn how to crochet or knit. 

5. Search Youtube for many many many helpful videos on knitting and crocheting! 

If you have any questions, please fill free to comment! I hope this has been helpful. Let me know what you think? 


Blessings! 

No comments:

Post a Comment